[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Depleted IPv4 reserves

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Dec 2 16:51:38 EST 2008

Jo Rhett wrote:
> I'm not sure I see what goal you are trying to accomplish with this
> proposal.  Why is it better to cut off larger providers to ensure that
> smaller organizations can continue to get space?   This is good for
> the smaller organization obviously.   Why is it good for the entire
> ARIN region?

Isn't the logic obvious?  A handful of large ISPs are consuming the
_vast_ majority of the IPv4 address space [1].  If those orgs are
effectively cut off when there is a /9 left, the remaining 3200+ orgs
will still have an additional year or two's supply for their
comparatively modest needs.  Those large orgs would not have been able
to meet their needs for more than a few months with that same /9
anyways, so they're not really affected much -- and they're also the
orgs with the most addresses internally that could be more efficiently
shuffled around and the _only_/ /orgs that have enough market power to
get IPv6 deployment going for real (e.g. by providing purchasing
pressure on laggard equipment vendors to implement it).

That's not to say I support this proposal, but it does have a certain
appeal.  However, I'm not sure that further efforts to extend the life
of IPv4, even if only for smaller orgs, is in the long-term interests of
the community.

[1] http://www.arin.net/statistics/index.html#ipv4org