[arin-ppml] The LRSA $100 fee...

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Sun Aug 31 13:31:07 EDT 2008

On Aug 31, 2008, at 12:34 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

Facts?! If you are referring to your latest ad hoc substitution of
what we were previously talking about by something you'd be more
comfortable talking about, I don't see that as meriting the indulgence
of a serious response here.

But I'll grant a partial indulgence anyway. "Improvement since 1999"
is a clever way of phrasing the answer, since that could be said of
any change that improves matters the tiniest bit, e.g., from 91% to
92% accuracy, or from 1% to 2% accuracy.

Which one is closer to true?

GAO 06-165, November 2005:
Prevalence of False Contact Information for Registered Domain Names
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d06165.pdf

But you don't really care about competition or accuracy in this case,
do you? You tipped your hand a little too much with the attempted
redirection to "retrieval of privacy rights," whatever that means. Be
honest Milton, if you value personal privacy above all other values,
isn't falsification of whois just one acceptable means to a greater end?

> But its difficult not to be struck with the tendency to blame problems
> that have nothing to do with competition on "competition."

It's also not difficult to be struck by the behavior of someone who
only has one tool -- ala a child with a hammer.
They're the ones wandering around bashing everything the exact same
way, as if every other object in the world is a nail.

TV

P.S. we can talk about this at TPRC too, or at ARIN XXII if you're
also planning to be there.