[arin-ppml] Further revisions to 2008-2?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Aug 29 15:23:54 EDT 2008

Milton L Mueller wrote:
> [...]

I'm still on the fence about supporting the proposal due to concerns
about paid transfers in general, but I think these changes make sense,
do not hurt the proposal in any meaningful way, and are more consistent
with the other RIRs if we do end up deciding to go down that path.

> * put a 3-4 year sunset on the geographic restrictions, re-evaluate that
> issue after a while

I'm opposed to this, however.  If the proposal is implemented, we can
still modify it at any time in the future if consensus is gained.  I am
opposed to any "sunset" provision that would kick in at an arbitrary
point in the future without another trip through the policy cycle to
build consensus in light of the actual circumstances of that time.

Also, we would need a global policy, passed by all five RIRs, to
properly implement inter-region transfers. We still don't know if
intra-region transfer proposals will pass in _any_ region, nor what
their differences may be if/when they do (and so far, there are many).
Let's not borrow that trouble today.