[arin-ppml] IANA IPv4 /8 burn rate.... (was Re: Stepping forward, opening my mouth and removing all doubt about)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Aug 27 19:14:55 EDT 2008

However what you succeed in doing is then creating hundreds of
dis-contiguous little subnets which will all create the need
for their own separate little BGP advertisements, when you
gather together all these unused little bits and odds and
ends of subnets.  Kind of like gathering up all the bits of
soap in the house and mashing them into one "bar"

If there were a horde of small little ISPs out there all needing
IPv4, who right now we were slicing little subnets off of the
big block of soap, this might make sense.

But post IPv4 runout we won't have that, we will just have large
porky ISP's still needing huge hunks of soap at roughly the
same rate they were using them before.  And how many mashed-together
soap bars will we have to give them before all the little pieces
of soap in the house are gone, I wonder?  And how clean will
the result be?

Ted