[arin-ppml] Stepping forward, opening my mouth and removing all doubt about

Micah Anderson micah at riseup.net
Wed Aug 27 16:28:14 EDT 2008

* Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> [2008-08-27 09:06-0400]:
> No one in their right mind believes that a liberalized transfer policy
> will "solve the problem" if "the problem" is IPv4 address scarcity. What
> it does is handle that scarcity in the most efficient manner over a
> temporary (hopefully) period. I hope we can lay that straw man to rest.

One could argue that handling the transition to IPv6 in the 'most
efficient manner' possible might be the solution to "the problem" of
IPv4 address scarcity and that the liberalized transfer policy seems
to do nothing but delay and discourage that.

> People who believe in an IPv6 transition have to ask themselves what
> happens 3 - 5 years from now when the migration is not complete and the
> free pool is exhausted. Apparently their "policy" is panic-based crash
> IPv6 adoption by people who may or may not be ready. To have no policy
> regarding the reclamation and transfer of available IPv4 resources
> during that period is irresponsible.

There has to be a deadline at some point, and those who are not ready
will have to deal with that. Is almost 20 years (RFC 2460 was in 1996,
if 5 years from now is 17 years) long enough or people to get ready?
At what point do we decide its time to have a flag-day? Is it after
the small folks have been squeezed out of the 'market-based economy'
due to disparity? What possible motivation are the big corporations
going to want to give up their market dominance?

> The idea that transfer policies somehow delay the migration to IPv6
> has been refuted in our paper.

With apologies to Milton L Mueller who in a previous message said
something sort of like:

It's great when Milton asserts something is true because he wrote it
as true in his (sorta)analysis paper, and then fails to provide a
reference to this paper.

Its true because you said so? If you say so... but please at least
reference your paper if you are goning to use it so authoritatively.

micah