[arin-ppml] Stepping forward, opening my mouth and removing all doubt about

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Aug 27 13:54:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Alain Durand
<alain_durand at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> On 8/27/08 11:24 AM, "William Herrin" <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
>> The proponents of a liberalized transfer policy say that the inability
>> to get new address from ARIN will bring a market into being regardless
>> of what ARIN does.
>>
>> The opponents of a liberalized transfer policy say that everybody
>> should just switch to IPv6 which won't have this problem for many
>> decades.
>
> Then there is also those who say, me included, that a liberalized transfer
> policy will not solve the problem at all.

Yeah, yeah. Obviously some on each side of the question also
disbelieve the basis for the other side's claim. For example, I think
the idea that IPv6 will be capable of playing a role in the solution
is a crock and that the feared hording has already happened by a few
large ISPs who opted to use globally routeable IP addresses instead of
NATed systems everywhere they could primarily because it leaves them
in control of huge swaths of address space.

If it makes you feel better, add "And by the way, the other side's
claims are in error," to both the proponent and opponent sides.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com bill at herrin.us