[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Whois Authentication Alternatives

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Wed Aug 27 10:31:34 EDT 2008

Kevin Oberman wrote:

> I know that several have been told that under applicable laws in their
> states, they simply cannot sign the LRSA. I mean as in "It would be a
> criminal offense to do so". I am not a lawyer, so I won't comment as the
> the validity of the lawyer's issues, but, working for an organization
> that must meet both Federal Government and State of California
> purchasing requirements, I suspect that the opinions are correct. We
> have had long battle with very standard contract clauses that we can't
> sign. There is a reason Switch and Data refuses to deal with anyone
> contracting under GSA procurement rules.

If they haven't already, I would encourage anyone finding themselves in
this situation, but who would otherwise like to sign the LRSA, contact
ARIN.  I don't know which clauses they're talking about here, but:
"Government agencies and institutions often have special contractual
needs.  These include:  (1) no evergreen clauses in contracts for
anti-deficiency laws; (2) no indemnity clauses; (3) choice of law may be
restricted; (4) use of binding arbitration may be prohibited and etc.
ARIN has always routinely and cooperatively amended both the RSA and now
LRSA for these issues."

-Scott