[arin-ppml] Whois Integrity Policy Proposal

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 22 18:00:25 EDT 2008

On 08/22/08 14:10, Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:
> From http://www.arin.net/registration/legacy/ question 2's answer:
>
> "The first important benefit is the contractual promise to continue
> receiving WHOIS and IN-ADDR services. ARIN currently provides those
> services free to all legacy resource holders who maintain contact
> with ARIN. This could change if the community so desired.
> Correspondingly, we understand Legacy holders don’t want to receive
> free services from the community, but are willing to pay their fair
> share of the expenses."
>
> It seems to me that the bulk of responses from legacy holders to PPML
> are not favorable to ARIN having any rights to the resources they
> received pre-ARIN.  So, perhaps it's time to revisit "This could
> change if the community so desired" in the paragraph above.  If ARIN
> has no relationship at all with the legacy space, including providing
> whois and in-addr.arpa services, then a lot of these discussions are
> moot, no?

I have to admit that I am not totally following what you're saying, but
my reading of the discussion is that issues of ARIN's jurisdiction over
legacy IP address space can be separated from ARIN's providing WHOIS and
in-addr.arpa services.  It appears that many of the legacy holders are
willing to pay for services received from ARIN, but aren't (yet?) ready
to settle the issue of jurisdiction.

It seems that we could advance the debate a bit by asking the questions:

o Does it make sense to separate the issues and allow legacy holders to
pay for services like whois and in-addr.arpa via some sort of LRSA-lite?

o Will it help address the need for Whois integrity, since the LRSA-lite
process could easily involve authentication and digital certs?

o Does it create issues for ARIN and/or the (regular) RSA-signatory
community if legacy holders pay for ARIN services without addressing the
issue of jurisdiction over legacy number resources?

thanks,
michael