[arin-ppml] LRSA concerns (Re: Policy Proposal: Whois Integrity Policy Proposal)

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Thu Aug 21 16:22:07 EDT 2008

> Governance? Is that what the LRSA is about?

no.  LRSA is about many things.  but it's impossible to see ARIN's actions
as not being related to its charter, in which the word "stewardship" figures
prominently.

> I thought LRSA was about normalizing the relationship between ARIN and
> the resource holders who predate it, authenticating the resources (to
> fight hijacking) and getting those holders to pay a fair share of the
> whois/rdns operations cost.

it is.  (also.)

> Perhaps asking for the LRSA to also be about governance pushes the
> legacy registrants further than they're currently willing to go.

not this legacy holder.  perhaps you as a legacy holder have different goals
than some others, and perhaps your goals are incompatible with governance,
but i don't think that you should attempt to generalize that position.  let's
do an actual survey and find out what's generally believed about this topic.

again, speaking for myself as CEO of $dayjob and a legacy holder, the
reason that i signed the LRSA was that i know i only "have" these addresses
because the community chooses to recognize and protect my unique allocation
of same, and i wasn't willing to say "since there's a loophole that makes
me untouchable by some current policies, i'll live like i am until the
community either decides to come after me or stop protecting me."  in other
words, to want differential rights between legacy and RSA, i would have had
to set my interests apart from the community's interests, while at the same
time depending on the community to go on protecting my interests.  bad juju.

believed to be clean.