[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Whois Integrity Policy Proposal

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Tue Aug 19 23:13:43 EDT 2008

Randy Bush wrote:

> gedanken experiment: if we wanted to have a carrot-rich stick-free
> relationship with legacy holders and whois registrants, what might we do
> (other than shoot testosteronic lawyers:)?

Allow them to transfer/sell their legacy blocks the same way they can
sell their legacy domain names (no strings attached).  Allow them
to subdivide the blocks up to whatever the current ARIN minimum
allocation  size is (currently /20).  Exclude utilization as a reason
the delegation could be revoked.  I would like to see a provision
to revoke delegations based on intentionally false (and refusal to
correct) whois data.

Do this for legacy blocks and not (yet) ARIN issued blocks and
you should quickly find out who de facto controls which legacy
blocks.

You would probably need an outside dispute resolution process
for disputes over who really has the rights to some of those
blocks...

- Kevin