[arin-ppml] Address Range transfer question

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Aug 19 18:29:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
> Your  192.246.229.0/24 was ASSIGNED to you by PSInet.
> It was NOT "sold" to you.  PSInet had no legal authority
> to "sell" blocks to customers at the time, and in
> fact, NEVER had such authority.

Ted,

If 192.246.229.0/16 was at the time a legacy block (given the range in
which it falls, I assume it was) then the legal situation is a lot
more murky. No legal structure existed which would preclude PSInet
from disposing of its legacy IP addresses in whatever manner it saw
fit.

Stewart,

What is less murky is ARIN's responsibility to Bard College for
192.246.229.0/24: none whatsoever. To whatever extent PSI had the
right to make such a sale, it was due to the -lack- of a contract with
ARIN. The results are, thus, not binding on ARIN in any way, shape or
form. And ARIN has made it very clear that they will not honor such
alleged transfers.

On the other hand, in theory those 12 class C's constitute a /21 and a
/22 which are not necessarily invalid end-user assignments under
current policy. If you can justify their use under today's ARIN
policy, Bard College may be able to ask ARIN to assign the blocks as
if new under the existing policies. Particularly if you can get Cogent
to sign a letter to the effect that they "don't oppose" the
assignment.

I suggest contacting ARIN staff directly at their email or phone
number to inquire about whether they're willing to assign those
specific prefixes in response to an otherwise valid request for an
end-user address assignment. They're pretty nice people and if the
assignments would reasonably meet current policy, I suspect they'll be
accommodating on the details.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004