[ppml] RFC 1744 and its discontents

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Mon Apr 7 21:08:29 EDT 2008

Tom Vest wrote:
> "Address Ownership Considered Fatal"
> Yakhov Rekter
> March 31, 1995
>
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-online-proceedings/95apr/area.and.wg.reports/ops/cidrd/cidrd.rekhter.slides.ps

Both this reference and RFC1744 are illustrative of the observation that study of this topic and the issues relating to the "role" of addresses in the context of the Internet is not a recent occupation, and that folk have been thinking about this for some years. So in response to KC's comment in the policy session at the ARIN meeting today, one can point to such studies (and related studies associated with thge PIARA activity in the IETF in 1996) and say that there is some level of longer term work in this area. Also, as far as I can see both RFC1744 and the Rekhter document both are supportive of a lease concept (Corollary 3, page 12 of the Rekhter presentation, RFC1744, section 3, para 4).

thanks,

   Geoff