[ppml] IPv6 flawed?

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Sep 18 17:11:22 EDT 2007

> > So far as I know, Legacy owners have no license from "the
> government"..
> > there is no piece of paper from "the government" giving them rights.
> > Maybe I am wrong, but I have not heard of such a document.
>
> There is indeed a piece of paper, and ARIN keeps it in a book.
> Registrations were originally by paper and mail.  I suppose
> you young'uns don't know what those are. We also didn't have
> cell phones back that, and numeric pagers were "cool", unless
> you had to carry one for work.

But that piece of paper is not from a "government".  ARIN is not a
governmental agency or department, they are not paid through tax
dollars, they do not carry the "force of law".  I still maintain that
legacy holders hold no license from any government to the use of those
numbers.  I also still maintain that we should let them continue to use
them, but because it is right, not because it would be illegal to do
otherwise.

KEvin