[ppml] Policy Proposal: Modification to Reverse Mapping Policy

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Thu Sep 13 02:48:41 EDT 2007

> I believe the current policy deals with this situation.  Once the policy
> went into place, I was able to deal with exactly this issue (with some
> escalation on my part).
>
> michael

I think it deals with this only for the case where the main delegation is
lame. If sub-delegations are lame, even deliberately preying on someone
else's server, the current policy is not clear. ARIN staff may be
interpreting it to give them authority to act or they may not, but either
way, it fails to provide guidance as to what is expected.

I think the ARIN should prohibit intentionally delegating a reverse address
zone, sub zone, or CNAME target of a reverse address delegated to an ARIN
zone to a server that will not be authoritative for that query or will fail
to respond to queries for it. The policy should require a reasonable effort
to fix this type of problem when notified of it.

If ARIN is going to delegate a zone to you, you are taking on the obligation
to make that zone work properly. Deliberately making others use extra
resources is a malicious act, comparable to spam in type but lesser in
degree. It wastes human beings' time and resources.

If you agree/promise to provide a service, you have an obligation to provide
it. You have no obligation to agree/promise to provide a service, but *if*
you agree/promise to provide a service, you have an obligation not to
intentionally fail to provide it.

DS