[ppml] Policy Proposal -- Eliminate Lame Server policy

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Sep 12 09:58:26 EDT 2007

> However, my fear is that without section 7.2 ARIN staff will
> feel they have no authority to police DNS delegations.

With section 7.2, my fear is that ARIN staff will feel that they cannot
take any action with regard to in-addr.arpa delegations unless it meets
the letter of the policy. By removing this from policy, staff will be
free to take any reasonable actions under the direction of management
and the board without fear of contravening ARIN policy. This is an ops
issue, not a policy issue.

As for policing, I hope that ARIN staff never police DNS delegations. I
would like to seem them audit such delegations, and maintain contact
with DNS ops people inside the various organizations. I would like to
see them offer free in-addr.arpa services to orgs with ARIN
allocations/assignments and I would like to see them track which orgs
actively refuse the free services so as not to pester them every 6
months or so. But I would not like to see any policing and especially
not any policing which assumes that there is one right way for the
Internet and therefore all IP network users must toe that line.

--Michael Dillon