[ppml] Policy Proposal -- Eliminate Lame Server policy

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 11 19:06:09 EDT 2007

Owen DeLong wrote:

> I suppose I should have said "Number Resource Policy".  I suppose
> there isn't really
> much in the way of a pointer about scope that I can give you.
> However, it is my
> opinion that the responsibility and scope of ARIN policy should be
> limited to
> the assignment and delegation of number resources.  Operational
> concerns about
> routing and DNS are, in my opinion outside of that scope and only
> serve to muddy
> the waters of good number resource policy.
[snip]
>> I don't want sloppy servers.
>>
> Neither do I, but, I am not convinced that it is ARINs place to
> attempt to
> force or even pressure others to clean up their sloppy servers.

Okay, I see the point that it shouldn't be part of the NRPM, and I'd be
willing to accept that if there were somehow able to be some explicit,
public policy regarding lame delegations that come directly from ARIN.

Basically, there should be some way for ARIN staff to deal with
inappropriate delegations where the POC is unresponsive, and that method
should be public.

Thanks for the proposal.
michael