[ppml] Comments on ARIN's reverse DNS mapping policy

Sam Weiler weiler at tislabs.com
Tue Sep 11 12:08:49 EDT 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, William Herrin wrote:

> The posters so far are essentially correct: no policy has been
> broken here.

I disagree.  Current policy requires ARIN to remove lame delegations
from the reverse DNS zones it manages.  I've seen evidence that ARIN
isn't doing that, and I think ARIN is in violation of NRPM Section
7.2.

In this case, I'm using a broad definition of "lame" that includes
"all nameservers listed in the NS RRset are unreachable".

Here's another example that was reported to ARIN on May 11th, four
months ago to the day:
'dig +trace 79.114.208.in-addr.arpa.'

Perhaps some guidance from the staff would be useful here.  Is the
current policy sufficient for you to clean these up?  Are you reading
"lame" broadly enough to cover the cases raised by Mr. Von Essen and
myself?  Absent instructions from the community specifying a
timetable[1], how long will it take between these being reported and
them being cleaned up?  (FWIW, I'd prefer to see a short timetable, on
the order of two weeks.)

-- Sam

[1] Not that I'm optimistic about the chances of ARIN listening to the
community: 2005-3 included an implementation timetable of 90 days
after adoption.  It appears to have taken 797 days.