[ppml] Legacy /24s

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Sat Sep 1 21:01:08 EDT 2007

On 9/1/07, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
> At 2:40 PM -0400 9/1/07, William Herrin wrote:
> >The number of routes and ASes in the DFZ implies that there are
> >somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000 routers in the DFZ.
>
> Hmm.  Could you expand on this part of the calculation?

John,

Its purely a SWAG. There are a little under 30k AS's announcing around
233k IPv4 routes. In the operations I've been involved in, the
organization usually originated about as many DFZ routes as it had
routers that took a full BGP feed. Sometimes a little more, sometimes
a little less.

If you have a more solid estimate, lets roll with it and re-run the
numbers. I'd be very surprised if it got us below 100k routers or
changed the point that its wildly expensive to announce a prefix into
the DFZ.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--