[ppml] Legacy /24s

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Sep 1 18:58:07 EDT 2007

At 2:40 PM -0400 9/1/07, William Herrin wrote:
>Lets put some numbers to this so that we're arguing facts rather than opinions.

Nice analysis, by the way...  One comment, see below.

>The number of routes and ASes in the DFZ implies that there are
>somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000 routers in the DFZ.

Hmm.  Could you expand on this part of the calculation?   I know
lots of backbones operating in the default-free zone, and can take
an estimate at number of routers each, but I'm not certain that
the product gets us to 200000 routers.  Also, there are often IGP
routers which don't participate in global routing but have the entry
purely for internal traffic engineering...  Is it fair to reflect the cost
of upgrading such routers onto the cost for a global routing entry?

/John