[ppml] Legacy /24s

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sat Sep 1 10:36:46 EDT 2007

> > I, since I fall into your category, being a very small consulting
> > company, would support your proposal whole heartedly.
> > J. R.

192.5.5.0/24 was once held by a small consulting company.  if that were
still the case, i would not feel that that consulting company's ability
to multihome was worth a slot in every routing table on every router on
the internet, given how globally expensive that has turned out to be.

(the block was later used for a root name server, and then, later, given
into the control of a 501(c)(3) nonprofit who operates that server, and
for that, i think the community of router owners would say it's worth a
routing slot... i'm just saying if that hadn't happened, i'd've stopped
using the space by now, on a "think globally, act locally" basis.)