[ppml] SPAM-WARN:RE: [arin-announce] Legacy RSA

Michael Thomas - Mathbox mike at mathbox.com
Fri Oct 12 15:26:45 EDT 2007

Sorry, I should have articulated that more clearly. As a group, the Xtra
Large
Members hold 900,000+ IPV4 /24 blocks that are registered with ARIN, where
said registration  of those 900,000+ IPV4 /24 blocks was free of charge. Do
you not consider that to be an unpaid, drag on the Internet?

> But when most people out there advertisng IPv6 then I would assume
> that people who are paying for IPv4 assignments will have an incentive
> to return them and stop advertising them and stop getting
> billed for them.
> Everyone, that is - except these legacy IPv4 holders who are
> STILL going
> to be faced with "I either got to IPv6 and start paying a lot of money
> or I keep using my free IPv4 and try to convince the rest of the world
> to continue supporting them."  If the legacy holders don't do anything
> they will greatly increase the amount of advertisements and
> cause a lot
> of people to delay switchover, that is the drag I'm talking about.
>
> Same goes for these "free 900,000+ /24 held by Xtra Large members"
> your referring to - although we are having a fee discussion on them
> as I'm sure you may have seen the prior posts on.
>
> ALthough it is a little early to get into this because IPv4 runout
> hasn't happened, you do realize of course that once IPv4 runout does
> happen, we will have to put into policy, incentives to get people
> to stop using it and to switch to IPv6.  Fee adjustments are the most
> obvious.
>
> Ted

Michael Thomas
Mathbox