[ppml] ARIN IP conservation and FREE IP Addresses

Joe Provo ppml at rsuc.gweep.net
Sun Oct 7 15:08:40 EDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 11:09:25AM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
[snip]
> Yes, Verizon has had a great deal of difficulty and delay merging its
> operations in a sensible manner. Given the performance, one wonders if
> the regulators were asleep at the wheel when they approved the latter
> acquisitions.

Some silos and imepediments to merging operations in all of the
major LEC M&A stems directly *FROM* telco regulatory constraints.
While large corporate entities tend to have too many feifdoms,
several 'lines of business' cannot even talk during some time
periods after these mergers.  Specifically, look up the actual
FCC merger conditions, noting section 272 and its sunset provisions.
att just got theirs last month, and VZ has had it for about six
months.  Any steering of the corporate iceberg will take a while,
however I'm dubious of the direct PPML relevance of further
rehashing of FCC/PUC public documents.

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE