[ppml] ARIN IP conservation and FREE IP Addresses

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Sat Oct 6 22:00:04 EDT 2007

On 10/6/07, Jason Schiller <schiller at uu.net> wrote:
> I would just like to point out that not all ISPs charge for IP
> addresses.  If ARIN added a per IP address charge, then I suspect Verizon
> Business would be temped to charge their customers for IP addresses.

Jason,

For the record, Verizon does charge their SOHO and small business
customers for IP addresses. I have 5 addresses on my business FiOS
account and pay $5 per month for each.

Once you're in a high enough business tier they do stop charging. The
breakpoint comes around the time the revenues from your single account
are sufficient to pay the entire ARIN bill.

And by the way, why exactly can't I transfer the /26 Verizon Business
assigned to me as a customer of its Ashburn VA data center to the
Verizon Business 50-meg line I ordered from you in Vienna VA? You guys
really got on my s*** list over that particular stunt.

> Charging for IP addresses gives the impression that the addresses are
> property.  As a result, it leads to the conclusion that the only
> justification required to get said addresses is if one pays enough money.

Then the "Local Internet Registries" shouldn't be doing that, should they?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us