[ppml] ARIN IP conservation and FREE IP Addresses

Jeremy H. Griffith jhg at omsys.com
Sat Oct 6 21:25:21 EDT 2007

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 20:14:59 -0400 (EDT), Jason Schiller <schiller at uu.net>
wrote:

>The question I have is do we want to limit the use of IP addresses based
>on address utilization or based on the amount of money an org is willing
>to pay for each address?

Unless you think ARIN should charge nothing to anyone,
which would be a hard position to support given that
ARIN has expenses, this is rather moot.  The question
is then, do we want to have a fee scale:

1. that encourages maximum usage (the current one),

2. that is flat (about $0.02 per IP), or

3. that encourages conservation (the California-style
   graduated charge)?

Personally, I favor number 3.  Actually, that seems to
address your concern better than the other two, IMHO.
And note that this is orthogonal to utilization, not a
replacement for it.

--Jeremy