[ppml] ARIN IP conservation and FREE IP Addresses

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Sat Oct 6 10:11:23 EDT 2007

On 10/6/07, Michael Thomas - Mathbox <mike at mathbox.com> wrote:
> Is this good
> stewardship? Do you think that fee schedule promotes conservation? I do not.
> Before we ask others to conserve more and pay more, lets cleanup our own
> act.

Michael,

I concur. ARIN's price structure is reasonable for an asset of which
there is a plentiful supply. Its based on the ARIN staff workload
necessary to process the paperwork, provide servers and handle record
keeping. These functions do not cost excessively more for large
allocations than for small ones.

The price structure is entirely inappropriate for a rapidly
diminishing asset like IPv4 free pool. Where conservation is desired,
large allocations per year should made to cost more per address than
small ones.

That having been said, this discussion is moot. The xlarge entities
have the votes to keep the favorable fee structure.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us