[ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Oct 4 20:38:54 EDT 2007

A great many networks will not accept advertisements from people
who do not have a listing for the blocks they want to advertise in
WHOIS.  And, any admin of any network who is worried about traffic from
black market addresses can simply elect to block out networks that are
not visible in WHOIS.  So I don't see that it would raise the value
of them on the black market.

In any case, speaking about the black market, I can assure you that
the criminal Pishers can obtain all of the compromised machines that
they want.  An entire industry exists of people who are paid to break into
machines.  An IP address by itself isn't much good, it has to have
connectivity and CPU time available on a machine with it, in order to
become a problem.

IMHO withholding WHIS on IPv4 legacy numbering only has value when it is
used
on a case-by-case basis, to prod a legacy holder into either giving up
a block they aren't using, or more efficiently using a block that they
have.

Ted