[ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Oct 4 20:00:59 EDT 2007

> "MR. RYAN: I've thought a little bit about what a stick might look like
> here. So for example, it's very clear to me that denial of service by ARIN
> is legally permitted. In other words, I don't believe we, as the non-profit
> trying to carry out the community's wishes, have a duty to provide free
> services for legacy address holders. And the denial of those free services
> to legacy address holders pursuant to their lack of agreement is perfectly
> permitted, in my judgment, as a matter of law."

if arin does not want to carry out its commitment to the community and
to the USG when it was chartered [0], i am sure the community can find
an organization more interested in public service.  probably such a
change would be good for the community; at least this puff and bluff
would cease.

randy

--

[0]  http://rip.psg.com/~randy/970414.fncac.pdf   foil 9