[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 31 22:01:56 EDT 2007

In a message written on Thu, May 31, 2007 at 09:01:35PM -0400, Azinger, Marla wrote:
> I am a little surprised at Leo's comment.  Mainly because last
> July I started attending IETF conferences on behalf of the ARIN AC
> (and he is on the AC).

I applaud your efforts and willingness to attend the IETF meetings
and try and make progress.  I absolutely think the solution needs
to be done in the IETF, and not ad-hoc by vendors or tacked on by
the RIR or operator community.  Those who have the time and skill
should attend and contribute.

However, I'm worried that the IETF needs to shake things up a bit.
I had to go back to the transcript
(http://www.arin.net/meetings/minutes/ARIN_XIX/ppm1_transcript.html#anchor_12),
but here's my worry.  The various working groups are "working on":

CIDR Boundary, Aggregation Slicing, Metro, Map and Encap, LISP, eFIT,
Shim6

If you believe Geoff Huston's latest information
(http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/) 13-Mar-2010 is the date.  So we
have somewhere between 2 and 3 years before there's likely to be a huge
upswell in IPv6 deployment (maybe shorter).

If I were at the IETF, or for that matter a vendor, I'd feel some
pressure to step it up, hold double meetings, and get this problem
solved ASAP.  Otherwise my prediction is we run out of IPv4 space,
people start using IPv6 like crazy, the operators make up the rules
as they go along, and by the time the dust settles no one will see
a point in any of the above solutions because "it's up and working"
and none will see the light of day, ever.

Once someone has their PI prefix in the global table do you think they
will care of Shim6 ever comes to be?