[ppml] Keeping the story straight

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 31 21:44:59 EDT 2007

In a message written on Thu, May 31, 2007 at 06:17:01PM -0700, Tony Hain wrote:
> I was pointing out the difference in attitude, depending on who is arguing
> what point. On the one hand people take the high-road and say ARIN does not
> talk about routability, while on the other people want to refuse space to
> people unless it is 'routed in the public Internet'. I would actually prefer
> to remove all discussion about routability and just talk about managing the
> IPv6 pool.
[snip]
> The flip-flopping that goes on about routability is what has to stop. If the
> majority wants to only worry about routed space, I am fine with that, but
> you can't have it both ways like it is now.

I'd counter by asking if it's really flip-flopping?  I can't think
of many individuals who flip-flop on this issue.

There people who think we should never talk about routability.
There are people who feel strongly routability is a huge concern,
and ARIN should not issue things that are not routable and/or put
pressure on the routing system.

My feeling is these camps are of relatively similar size, so the
meetings tend to be split 50/50 (60/40, whatever).  That does make
the group as a whole look like it flip-flops....

Unfortunately, without getting one side to give up, I'm not sure how you
fix it.