[ppml] Keeping the story straight

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Thu May 31 21:17:01 EDT 2007

Heather Schiller wrote:

> > Somebody needs to figure out the real story, then try to keep it
> straight.
> > Tony
> >

> I can't tell from your email if you want:
> - ARIN to guarantee routability
> - not make a formal statement on routability (thus implying anything or
> nothing)
> - You want ARIN/RIR's to declare/refine their function/mission
> statement
> - or you just want to ask a bunch of rhetorical questions to get people
> thinking and you may or may not have your own opinion?
>
> (..and I'm not intending to be snide.. it's just that sometimes email
> is a
> lousy method of communication and I really can't tell)

I was pointing out the difference in attitude, depending on who is arguing
what point. On the one hand people take the high-road and say ARIN does not
talk about routability, while on the other people want to refuse space to
people unless it is 'routed in the public Internet'. I would actually prefer
to remove all discussion about routability and just talk about managing the
IPv6 pool.

People should be able to get a PI block and a ULA-C block, and what they do
with those is not ARIN's concern as long as they maintain their membership.
It really doesn't matter if people don't think they need both, if the
requestor thinks they need it and their membership is current, give it to
them. What happens after that is not an ARIN policy concern.

The flip-flopping that goes on about routability is what has to stop. If the
majority wants to only worry about routed space, I am fine with that, but
you can't have it both ways like it is now.

Tony