[ppml] rubber/road

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu May 31 21:09:29 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at ipinc.net>
> I assume you know this depends on the assumption that all
> non-paying IPv4 legacy holders will start paying the RIRs for
> IPv6 allocations in that way we can spread the costs around
> more.

You assume costs will remain at current levels.  However, yes, eventually
legacy-holders will need to start paying fees if they want to get direct
IPv6 assignments.  It remains to be seen if they will within a timeframe
that merits discussion today.

> If that was not the case for some reason, then it would be
> impossible for v6 to stay cheaper than v4, unless that is, the
> RIR's costs for niceties like heat, light, office space, labor, etc.
> were to somehow decrease.
>
> Nobody will pay for v4 once v6 has taken hold, in that case then
> v6 prices must rise unless cost to administrate numbering goes
> down, somehow.

If budget shortfalls are predicted, the Board is required to increase
revenue (which probably means raising fees, but might mean lowering them) or
decrease costs, regardless of what the cause is.  That's not necessarily
linked to IPv6 deployment or IPv4 becoming worthless, though.  There's also
no link between those things and the relative fees for IPv6 vs IPv4; the
Board could instead decide to raise IPv4 fees faster than IPv6 until people
just stop using IPv4 -- there've been a few informal proposals to do exactly
that to delay (or even reverse) exhaustion.

> Or is there some magic feature about IPv6 I have missed that
> makes it a lot cheaper to administer, once everyone has
> switched over to it?

The "magic" is that we've tried to make IPv6 policy such that the vast
majority of orgs will never need more than an initial, minimum-sized block
which is somewhere between "trivial to justify" and "automatic".  Compare to
IPv4, where many orgs have _hundreds_ of blocks and have to come back for
more every few months, requiring detailed review by staff.  Simply put, IPv6
should require fewer man-hours to handle than IPv4 because the request
volume will be lower and the effort per request will be lower.  Bad news for
ARIN staffers, I suppose, but good news for fees.

Some fee adjustment may be necessary for ARIN to keep funding fixed-cost
items like servers for WHOIS and DNS, internal systems and tools, meetings,
outreach, etc. if the maintenance fees (plus the occasional new assignment
fee) for IPv6 won't be enough after IPv4 finally dies, but that won't be
"jacking" with anyone -- it'll be necessary to remain solvent, and it's far
enough off in any case that it's not productive to try to predict what's
going to happen or when.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov