[ppml] rubber/road

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu May 31 19:04:47 EDT 2007

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
[..]
> In 2 years a policy could be submitted and
> approved that would radically raise prices on the IPv6 block and
> require you to pay for both blocks.  As long as both allocations
> (IPv4 and IPv6) are separate, the fear of getting jacked over in
> the future is a real possibility.

My magic crystal ball tells me that IPv4 address space will become
pricey, as that is the resource running out, not IPv6 space.

You can make all kinds of weird assumptions about the future, one
thing is sure: IPv4 address space won't be available anymore from the
RIRs in a couple of years. The blackmarket will have it for you though.

> this is why I suggested a while ago that IPv6 automatically be
> allocated to all paying IPv4 holders.  If the IP registration fee
> was a lump sum that covered both IPv6 and IPv4 allocations, it would
> be more difficult down the road for a price raise on IPv6 to get
> through.
> (Since that would not exist as a separate 'product' of a RIR)

As stated before, by others also, giving "free address space" to folks
 who clearly are not requesting it is not a solution.

The IPv6 fee waiver is already in place for the last 2+ years. If you
didn't use that upto now, then there is not much you can complain about.

Do also remember that the membership of the RIR set the 'prices on
address space' if you could call it that. As such, you and everybody
else would be part of that decision process.

Greets,
 Jeroen