[ppml] rubber/road

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu May 31 18:47:49 EDT 2007

Randy Bush wrote:
> so, i have two multi-homed racks, one beast coast (equiburn), one left
> coast (westin).  let's be polite and not discuss if and how they handle
> v6 today.
>
> let's say i wanted to do it in whatever is the current fashion for
> correctly.  do i get two /32s from arin?

Can you justify for the need of a /32 at each site, if so, then why not.

If you can't justify a /32 each, you might want to try justifying a
single /32. The side effect, if you split that up into chunks of /48's
or /40's you might run into filters, and that is not so weird as
(afaik) the policy explicitly states you have to announce the
aggregate. Of course nobody can stop you from trying (to bribe people
with good whisky to accept your prefix anyway :)

>  two /48s?

If you can justify that, why not. They definitely are 2 sites, so a
/48 each sounds logical. It is the minimum allocation size.

Routingwise these /48's should get through.

> how much will that cost today?

As you already have IPv4 space (afaik, though maybe for you that is
legacy stuff you don't pay for?) nothing, as the fees are waved.

>  how much will it cost me in two years?

The amount that is the most of either your IPv4 or the IPv6 one.
See a couple of days back where somebody disclosed that.

Greets,
 Jeroen