[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-6 - Abandoned

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue May 29 16:16:32 EDT 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 10:14 PM, David Williamson wrote:
> I really think people who think renumbering is easy don't work for
> ASP-like companies.  There's a few specific challenges that make it a
> thorny problem.  A large amount of embedded addresses in vpns and
> customer-controlled ACLs are just a nightmare, especially when NAT
> isn't an option.

I'm not aware of anyone saying that renumbering is easy.

I personally was suggesting that situations where renumbering is
difficult are (a) fairly rare and (b) easier for the business to
identify than ARIN and (c) are the businesses problem to solve, not
ARIN.

If you run a business that requires large volumes of X, then as said
business you identify the source of X as a risk and determine how to
best address that problem.

Most of the comments made in this thread seem to indicate that ARIN
should be responsible for the businesses dependancy, and that ARIN
should solve this problem for the business at the detriment of every
business who must maintain a full routing table on their big iron.  I
disagreed.

I would also like to point out that ARIN's current policy makes it
very trivial to qualify under the multihoming requirement, and the
cost of doing this is already borne by every business who is large
enough to have this risk, and thus neglible.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek

Silicon Valley Colocation