[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

Rich Emmings rich at nic.umass.edu
Tue May 29 06:39:26 EDT 2007

As I mentioned earlier, one of the barriers to getting management buy in on
IPv6 is the fact that the standards keep changing, and this is a good
example.  To use an analogy, the financial boys won't sign off on starting
the building until they get a final floor plan.  Keep rewriting the spec to
try and get it 'perfect' instead of 'good enough' and it'll still be in
redesign as the last IPv4 address goes out the door?

What problem are we trying to solve here?  Is it a valid concern, or are we
fighting the last war and blithly ignoring what will be the real problems
with IPv6.  (Hint, you don't know what it is either.  If it's the same
problem, it's solved.  If it's something you can think of, it's probably
being solved.  It's novel.)