[ppml] Those pesky ULAs again

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon May 28 08:30:30 EDT 2007

No, what I said was:

>> Approximately 100% of all
>> organizations use RFC 1918 space. Obviously one use for
>> RFC 1918 space goes away with IPv6 (NAT) but I'd say that
>> the number of internet users requiring some kind of local
>> addressing will still be  10, 20, 30 or more percent.

> The vast majority of folks will be fine with ULA-L

Most people aren't very good with statistics, knowing for sure you
have unique space is better than having just a 99.9999% probability
that it's unique.

> (or PA) space

PA or PI is irrelevant to this discussion, people who need ULA may
not even connect to the internet, and if they do, they need this
space in ADDITION to routable address space, regardless of the type.

> and the target market for ULA-C is identical to the target market
> for PIv6.

Nonsense.

> so the debate comes down to why we want to put orgs on ULA-C space
> instead of just giving them PI space.

No-brainer: ULA-C space doesn't use up routing table slots.

> If they're truly going to use it privately, they won't consume
> routing slots in the DFZ, and if they aren't they'll be using PIv6
> anyways and won't have a need for ULA-C.

You are being ridiculous. There is no connection between ULA-C and
PI. Everyone can get ULA, not everyone can get PI. And ULA is even
more important for people who have PA because that way they can have
their internal infrastructure on stable addresses even when their
routable address space is renumbered. Also, with IPv4, it's very
common to use RFC 1918 space for internal infrastructure that must
not be reachable from the internet. It's much more convenient to use
unroutable address space for this rather than routable address space
that is filtered.

> there is significant risk that ULA-C will end up not being
> "private" because there will be a set of ISPs that agree to route
> the space for a fee.  If that set grows to critical mass, ULA-C
> will be no different than PIv6 anyways.

I don't see the problem. We agree that routing ULA space is a bad
idea. However, if someone is prepared to give me enough money to
change my mind, how can that possibly be a problem? Or do you want to
protect yourself from your own greed?