[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Re: article about IPv6 vs firewallsvs NAT in arstechnica (seen on slashdot)

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun May 27 16:51:41 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com>
> On 15-mei-2007, at 9:57, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>> And the only way to control ULA-central is to have it within the
>> RIR system,
>
> How would that work in practice? Approximately 100% of all
> organizations use RFC 1918 space. Obviously one use for
> RFC 1918 space goes away with IPv6 (NAT) but I'd say that
> the number of internet users requiring some kind of local
> addressing will still be  10, 20, 30 or more percent. The RIR
> membership is measured in thousands.

All correct.

> So tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of
> organizations that may want ULA-c space have no relationship
> with an RIR. They may not even have a relationship with an ISP...
>
> So how are the RIRs supposed to manage their relationship
> with 10 or 100 times as many people as they have relationships
> with now?

You have the flawed assumption that everyone who uses RFC1918 space today
will want/need ULA-C in the future.  The vast majority of folks will be fine
with ULA-L (or PA) space, and the target market for ULA-C is identical to
the target market for PIv6.  It will be the same number of orgs regardless
of which type of space they request, so the debate comes down to why we want
to put orgs on ULA-C space instead of just giving them PI space.  If they're
truly going to use it privately, they won't consume routing slots in the
DFZ, and if they aren't they'll be using PIv6 anyways and won't have a need
for ULA-C.

I object to making orgs second-class IPv6 citizens under the guise of
"private" addresses, and there is significant risk that ULA-C will end up
not being "private" because there will be a set of ISPs that agree to route
the space for a fee.  If that set grows to critical mass, ULA-C will be no
different than PIv6 anyways.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov