[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-6 - Abandoned

Maruottolo, Richard RMaruottolo at bear.com
Thu May 24 08:47:11 EDT 2007

ON  Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:15 AM David Williamson wrote in response to
Leo Bicknell's point:

> That's absolutely true.  We can renumber *most* of our space very
quickly.
> Unfortunately, the rest takes months, in the best case scenario.
> And we can't exactly dictate aggressive contract terms to much larger
companies
> that are paying a premium to use our services.

Having had to IP renumber, here are some of the reasons for the *rest*
taking months:

*Firewall rules that are bound via IP addresses NOT DNS
*Application systems such as load balancers are mapped to IP addresses
NOT DNS.
*Legacy systems that are not DNS such as mainframe
*Need to maintain 99.999% application availability.  No room for error.

It can be done but there are in many cases significant hurdles and
potential risks to the firm renumbering that need to be handled.  I have
lost many hours of sleep on weekends doing such migrations for large
firms where the impact of a mistake or downtime in financial lost is
enormous.  Saying the *rest* can take months is an understatement in
many cases.

-Rick