[ppml] getting converts to V6

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu May 24 00:22:54 EDT 2007

On Sun, 20 May 2007, David Conrad wrote:

> > Someone is making a boatload of money here. Or wasting a boatload.
>
> ARIN's budget is published at http://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/
> budget.html.  Please point to where someone is making or wasting a
> boatload of money.

Ok, I'll bite on this. I have an insatiable curiousity about such
things. ;-) This may be the wrong forum, though.

The 2005 financials state that ARIN has about 19 million in investments.
But reports only $366,597 in interest and dividends. This is less than
2%.  That seems to be a pretty poor return on over $19mil.  The
investing cash flows suggest some turnover, but its hard for me to tell
what's happening.  Are there unrealized capital gains in this value?
What is the realistic total worth of the investments? Who is managing
these investments?

ARIN had about 9 million in revenue, and about 7 million in operations
expenses, so ARIN made about 2million in 2005 (before investments) and
made about 1.3million in 2004. Good work folks!

So, yes. ARIN is making a small boatload of money, has been for a while,
and ARIN has been saving it up. But it is unclear if ARIN has been
investing wisely. Perhaps some more transparancy on the investments
would be helpful.

Thanks,

		--Dean

617 344 9000