[ppml] getting converts to V6

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon May 21 00:38:28 EDT 2007

Lee,

On May 20, 2007, at 10:15 PM, Lee Dilkie wrote:
>>> No offense. But the cost of assigning me a drivers license,
>>> including
>>> all the testing and whatnot, is *far* less than ARIN's fees.
>> There may be a few more people obtaining drivers licenses than there
>> are requesting blocks of addresses.
> And that makes it inefficient? Now that's a pretty interesting
> argument.

It isn't about efficiency or lack thereof.  Obviously, the fees you
pay for a driver's license is significantly smaller than the fees you
would pay for an address allocation.  Part of the reason for this is
that since ARIN (like the other RIRs) works on a cost recovery basis,
the fewer number of fee payers, the larger the fee per payer.  While
DMVs operate on a different model, the use fees associated with
driver licenses reflect a much, much larger payer base and hence are
much smaller than the fees folks would pay if the total payer base
was on the order of 1000.

> You don't have permission to access /about_us/corp_docs/ on this
> server.

Apologies.  As others have pointed out, the URL wrapped.  The correct
URL is:

<http://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/budget.html>

>> Your original statement remains a demonstration of ignorance.
> Thanks for pointing that out, David. I feel so very welcome when I
> post
> to this list and folks like you are so polite with my mistakes.

"Ig-no-rance: noun, lack of knowledge or information."
      -- Oxford American Dictionary

My comment wasn't intended as an insult.  Honestly.  I personally
freely admit I am ignorant about most things.  Ignorance only becomes
a problem when people don't try to remedy it during discussions.

Rgds,
-drc