[ppml] ARIN Board Advises Internet Community on Migrationto IPv6

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed May 23 19:38:20 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Azinger, Marla" <marla.azinger at frontiercorp.com>
> Managed ULA would be a better answer than using global space.
> Only ARIN has this type of policy as a work around.  I think there
> are alot of people out there who feel a good ULA Global policy
> carried out at the RIR level would be better than wasting global
> address space.

First, either flavor of ULA would only give him a /48 and he's indicated
that's not sufficient; there's official answer to that situation is getting
multiple prefixes, which dramatically increases either the odds of
collisions (Local) or the cost (Central).

Second, IMHO there is no shortage of v6 space that merits denying requests
from people who can justify use in return for forcing them to renumber
if/when they connect to the public Internet.  If they never end up
advertising the space, there is no argument that they're consuming routing
slots, which is the only reason _not_ to give a PI space to everyone who
asks.  There's no shortage of /48s.

The _only_ situation I can see where ULA Central has an edge over PIv6 is
when an org is small enough they don't meet the bar for a global address yet
has enough private peers that they have a non-trivial chance of collision.
I believe that such circumstances are rare enough that approving ULA Central
is not justified.

My two cents as well,

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov