[ppml] [PPLM] ARIN Board Advises Internet Community on Migration to IPv6

Bob Evans bob at FiberInternetCenter.com
Mon May 21 11:02:01 EDT 2007

I wonder how "effective" this suggestion from our board will be?
Considering the desire for transition by our organization, lack of a fee
wavier date NOT changing isnt that great. As in about 7 months the new
fees are implemented.

>From the ARIN fee page:
"A partial fee waiver is in effect. All fees referenced below will apply
only after the expiration of the waiver on 31 December 2007. Until then
the fee for all IPv6 assignments is $500."

I thinks it is great the board advises IPv6 migration and statistic
information is well presented for the "sale decision". However, it is
clear that ARIN will collect fees from both IPv6 and IPv4 assignments for
a period of years.

I think it feels a bit like, a bait and switch fee doubling tactic on the
fees side, NOT to consider the fee wavier expiration date. If one wants or
needs a future conversion to be effective, there should at least appear to
be an positive incentive. This one is clearly negative, as it promises
that one's fees will in fact double at the end of this year.

A small/medium size ISP the fees effectively double after December 2007,
while their transit for IPv6 could remain unresolved and other conversion
issues require considerable labor and hardware costs.

With this in consideration and a fee doubling on the near horizon, you can
see how a smaller/medium ISP will continue to procrastinate.

I hope someone will kept track of the request statistics 30 days after
this advisory was sent. It will help us evaluate or community's ability to
listen to board advise vs. the willingness to incur a 100% cost increase.

bob evans