[ppml] clarification of IPv4 and IPv6 fees

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed May 23 10:49:33 EDT 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007, Howard, W. Lee wrote:

> I said at the April 2007 Members Meeting that I owed the
> community a clarification of what IPv6 fees would look like
> when the current waivers expire.  I have checked with the
> Finance Committee, but not the full Board.  It is our common
> understanding that beginning January 1, 2008, when temporary
> waivers for IPv6 have expired, that subscriber members will
> pay the greater of their IPv4 or IPv6 fees, not both.

Glad to see my suggestion was taken :)

But seriously, http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html ought to be
updated, because from a quick reading of it, it's certainly implied that
after the current IPv6 fee waiver ends in 2007, members will be hit with
the additional fees of paying annual fees for both their IPv4 and IPv6
space.

When I started looking at doing an IPv6 initial request, I stopped when I
saw this.  I didn't want to have my employer incur an additional $2250
annual ARIN fee for IP space we might not really use for who knows how
long.  We've got a lot of hardware and software that will need to be
upgraded/replaced, and who knows how far off general usability of IPv6
over the internet is?