[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-6 - Abandoned

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue May 22 18:40:13 EDT 2007

Jo Rhett wrote:
[..]
> If you are in danger of losing your livelihood because of a forced
> renumber, then you need to determine what about your business creates
> that dependancy and fix it.
>
> Renumbering is fairly trivial.  This whole idea that renumbering is
> painful and difficult has no basis in reality except for people who
> hardcode IP addresses into their applications, and ARIN does not have
> to accept ridiculous actions like that.

With absolutely no pun intended, I suggest that ARIN provides you with a
new block and takes your existing blocks that you are currently using.

Then you can write up a perfect document demonstrating how wrong the
rest of the people are who clearly do say that it is extremely painful.

What you say? You don't want to renumber? Why that? It was sooo easy.
Oh so you actually don't have an automated mechanism to update the glue
for all the 10k domains you have, which are not actually fully
maintained by you, and thus you have to contact folks to get that fixed.
Oh, so you don't have an automated script which reconfigures
automatically all the firewalls at all the various companies you work
with. Thought so...

Greets,
 Jeroen