[ppml] OT: Guidance for multihomed enterprise and IPV6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue May 22 14:14:33 EDT 2007

Dan.Thorson at seagate.com wrote:
> I understand this is off-topic, but I feel confident I'll get some good=

> advise off-list, and so please forgive my transgression:
>=20
> I need some guidence re: deploying IPv6 in a multi-homed multinational
> enterprise corporation, specifically ensuring global routability and gl=
obal
> Internet access failover?  Clearly I need IPv6 space which can be annou=
nced
> to multiple ISP's located world-wide....

For the ARIN region this is quite simple:

http://www.arin.net/registration/guidelines/ipv6_assignment.html

Fill in the forms, justify the need you have and it's almost presto.

At least that is the part of getting address space, where you can go 2
routes: firstly a /48 "PI" and/or a larger (upto /40) PI block. The
other depends really on the size of your organization and the way it is
structured. If you have an organization which acts like an ISP, and thus
providing connectivity to various business units, locations etc, then
you can, under certain circumstances, be considered to be an ISP, which
allows you to get a /32.

Now the real question you most likely have is: You have a location in
the US, you have a location in Tokio and one in Amsterdam. Now if you
get say a /40, you are supposed to announce it as 1 /40, but that will
cause traffic for the US to get routed to Tokio when it originates from
there. And in Tokio you might not have a big link and certainly do not
want to pull the traffic over your own internal network to the US.
Two solutions: announce /48's, or just get separate /48's in the first
place. Other solutions are currently (afaik ;) not available though.

As you mentioned the "failover" component in all cases is bog-standard BG=
P.

Greets,
 Jeroen