[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Re: article about IPv6 vs firewalls vs NAT in arstechnica (seen on slashdot)

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue May 22 09:52:41 EDT 2007

It is a matter of having the same organization that allocated IP addresses
doing allocation of IP addresses, despite the number of "possible
customers", instead of having a *new* organization doing so.

I really think it may become a political issue and breach for the RIRs
system and I don't feel very comfortable with that.

The allocation of the ULA-central addresses can be managed in a very
automated way, so not a big issue if really becomes a "big" number of them
(which I'm convinced will be the case, because only some big entities may
want to avoid using ULA local, but enough to avoid wasting global unicast
instead).

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch at muada.com>
> Responder a: <address-policy-wg-admin at ripe.net>
> Fecha: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:51:19 +0200
> Para: <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
> CC: <ppml at arin.net>, "address-policy-wg at ripe.net" <address-policy-wg at ripe.net>
> Asunto: Re: [address-policy-wg] Re: [ppml] article about IPv6 vs firewalls vs
> NAT in arstechnica (seen on slashdot)
>
> On 15-mei-2007, at 9:57, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>
>> And the only way to control ULA-central is to have it within the
>> RIR system,
>
> How would that work in practice? Approximately 100% of all
> organizations use RFC 1918 space. Obviously one use for RFC 1918
> space goes away with IPv6 (NAT) but I'd say that the number of
> internet users requiring some kind of local addressing will still be
> 10, 20, 30 or more percent. The RIR membership is measured in
> thousands. So tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of
> organizations that may want ULA-c space have no relationship with an
> RIR. They may not even have a relationship with an ISP...
>
> So how are the RIRs supposed to manage their relationship with 10 or
> 100 times as many people as they have relationships with now?

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org