[ppml] getting converts to V6

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun May 20 20:42:20 EDT 2007

Lee,

On May 20, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Lee Dilkie wrote:
> "You" refers to producers of IP address space, in this case ARIN and
> ARIN's members, the ISPs. I'm not included in that list as I am not an
> ARIN member and as I've been made painfully aware, not entitled to
> making policy decisions.

As an individual, no, you are not entitled to make policy decisions.
You are not Lord God Emperor of the Internet (at least as far as I am
aware).  You are, however, like everyone else entitled to participate
in the policy making process.

> If all the dire predictions are true, the producers will be out of
> a job
> unless they can convince the consumers to switch to the new address
> space.

Not really.  The RIRs business models will change and they may look
very differently than what they look like now, but the lack of IPv4
address space does not automatically imply they will be "out of a job".

> No offense. But the cost of assigning me a drivers license, including
> all the testing and whatnot, is *far* less than ARIN's fees.

There may be a few more people obtaining drivers licenses than there
are requesting blocks of addresses.

> Someone is making a boatload of money here. Or wasting a boatload.

ARIN's budget is published at http://www.arin.net/about_us/corp_docs/
budget.html.  Please point to where someone is making or wasting a
boatload of money.

> Either way, my original statement stands.

Your original statement remains a demonstration of ignorance.

Rgds,
-drc