[ppml] Soft and hard landings, was: Re: Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Fri May 18 17:34:55 EDT 2007

On 18-mei-2007, at 19:19, Scott Leibrand wrote:

>> The effect of a policy like this is that:

>> a. IPv4 becomes more painful to use because addresses are harder
>> to get
>> b. the incentive to move to IPv6 is reduced because the moment
>> that the
>>     IPv4 is completely depleted is postponed

> As written, those two statements appear to contradict each other.
> To put it in economic terms,

You're right, they appear to contradict. But this isn't unheard of.
For instance, any economist can tell you that raising prices can
easily result in making less money.

> the effect of a policy like this is that:

>    * IPv4 becomes more expensive (though additional work required)
>      because addresses are harder to get
>    * as the cost of IPv4 growth goes up, IPv6 will become a
>      cheaper/easier alternative for a number of orgs (for some earlier
>      than others)
>    * as some orgs switch their growth over to IPv6, the moment that
>      IPv4 is completely depleted is postponed.  This delays the
>      increase in IPv4 cost (through slower triggering of IPv4 Soft
>      Landing thresholds), and allows more time for the cost of
>      deploying IPv6 services to come down (through natural replacement
>      of old IPv4-only gear with new IPv6-capable gear, and by giving
>      people time to learn IPv6)

You only look at the cost part without considering the benefit. Apart
from less tangible things like being a technology leader or being
prepared, the benefit of adopting IPv6 is negligible: you can only
reach a tiny part of the internet over IPv6: something in the order
of 0.1%. So the cost difference between IPv4 and IPv6 can never drive
IPv6 adoption.

> To re-use a recently proposed analogy, let's say that 5 years from
> now a major war starts in the Middle East, and a good majority of
> the oil extraction infrastructure is destroyed..  The US has to
> decide how to use the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) in order to
> minimize economic disruption while consumers switch to alternatives

[...]

The problem with this analogy is that with oil, you need a constant
supply to operate. With address space, once you have it, you're set,
no need to come back for more.

So a better analogy would be that once oil is no longer available,
the switch to other power sources is seamless, but it's no longer
possible to build new roads for lack of asphalt. Fortunately, there's
still plenty of steel so in the alternative, it's possible to lay
down tracks. The car manufacturers anticipated all of this and by now
all models come with both regular tires for driving on roads and
steel tire-less wheels for use on the tracks.

The problem is that business etc are unwilling to spend the money to
convert their parking lots to allow people to arrive over tracks and
park their cars using the tracks system. This means that cities
aren't going to install tracks because everyone keeps driving on
roads, anyway.

But now we are running out of asphalt. We can either use the reserve
and keep building the roads we need today, even though we know we can
only keep doing that for a few more years, or we can artificially
restrict the availability of asphalt.

In the latter case, it becomes increasingly difficult to build new
roads, but since there is no track infrastructure to speak of, the
only effect is that it costs more time and money to build less
effective new roads. Although new roads now have fewer lanes than
they really need, congestion is a problem, but you can still get
everywhere by road and the remaining asphalt is going to last for a
fairly long time so pretty much nobody bothers with tracks.

The alternative is that the remaining asphalt is used up as per
current needs, and soon it becomes clear that the supply is going to
run out in the near future, so some people start installing tracks to
be ready. When asphalt runs out, people still keep driving on the
existing roads, but all new infrastructure can only be tracks and the
transition from roads to tracks starts happening in earnest.

> As you can tell, I think that a policy like Soft Landing that
> attempts to provide incentives for people to gradually move their
> growth away from IPv4 will help ease the disruption of the
> transition.  As such, I believe that a proposal like Soft Landing
> is much better than the alternative of continuing existing policy
> until the unallocated IPv4 pool is exhausted.

The way I see it, the undeniable prospect of running out of IPv4
address space within two to four years is a prerequisite for any
meaningful IPv6 adoption. It could very well be that the prospect of
running out isn't even enough, and we actually have to run out before
large numbers of internet users take notice. (In my most cynical
moments I'm thinking lots of people won't care that the IPv4 club
isn't admitting new members and aren't even going to bother adopting
v6 when we're out of v4 space.)

We're currently still in the situation where people can fool
themselves into thinking that we're not going to run out of IPv4
space within the next decade or so, hence they don't have to take any
action. Implementing any measures that postpone the moment of running
out only give people more excuses to ignore IPv6.