[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu May 17 01:16:29 EDT 2007

[Putting on my IANA hat for a second, I'd send from my ICANN email
address, but it would bounce]

On May 15, 2007, at 1:19 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> IANA could release some historically reserved space such as 0/8 and
> the RIRs,

I am skeptical we'd be able to "unreserve" 0/8, 127/8, and the RFC
1918 space.  All other reserved addresses (including 1/8  and 14/8
which the IANA Number Liaison, Leo Vegoda, has been doing a fantastic
job tracking registrants down) should consider their days of wine,
song, and kicking back to watch the world go by near its end.

> and there's a side discussion about opening up 240/4, however IANA
> expects the IETF to publish an RFC on such things first,

Yep.  Some folks are working on a draft to do just this.

Rgds,
-drc