[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue May 15 14:19:16 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Andy Davidson" <andy at nosignal.org>
> On 14 May 2007, at 21:50, bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:
>> neither ARIN, nor other RIR, nor IANA can create new IPv4
>> numbers.  and conversly, they can not destroy them.  ARIN
>> can ensure that it tracks the density of use of the pool...
>> some might think that  such a task is clearly in its charter.
>
> Go easy on me, I can't find my tin hat ... but does this mean it's
> time to drag up a new thread about reclaiming 'legacy' /8s (IANA
> reserved ones, military, squeezing down 44/8 into something a bit
> smaller, etc.,etc.)

There is a proposal under discussion in this very forum about reclamation.
However, that proposal does not affect legacy space, and counsel is still
trying to sort out what, if any, power ARIN has over legacy holders who
haven't signed an RSA.

IANA could release some historically reserved space such as 0/8 and 1/8 to
the RIRs, and there's a side discussion about opening up 240/4, however IANA
expects the IETF to publish an RFC on such things first, there's usually
good reasons for blocks staying reserved, and they'd only extend the life of
v4 a few months.  It's like trying to keep the Titanic from sinking by
bailing water with a thimble.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov